Sunday, September 25, 2011

"Finding Your Howl"

http://changethis.com/manifesto/51.01.YourHowl/pdf/51.01.YourHowl.pdf

After sharing the story of Mumon, Flaum tells a story of his own personal experience when he was in fifth grade. One of his classmates wrote the best story in the class, a repetitive story about the captivity of a tiger at the zoo. The tiger tried and tried to escape, but every time he managed to get out, he was placed in another cage in another zoo. At the time, Flaum hated the kid for his brilliant story. However, looking back on it, he realizes that it’s an eerily accurate look into how life is for us all. 

One of my favorite quotes of all time was said by Marco Tempest during a TED interview where he was displaying some new tricks with iPhones. He discusses how the tricks that he’s doing is magic, even though some people wouldn’t agree with that. But he makes the point that what he’s doing is art. He says that “art is the greatest deception of all. Art is a deception that creates real emotion. A lie that creates a truth. And when you give yourself over to that deception, it becomes magic”. This connects to another point that he made during his interview. He says how all people, whether it’s big or small, tell lies. It’s an unavoidable fact of life. But it’s how we tell these lies that matters. If we look as art and magic as lies, it’d be safe to say that these are ‘good lies’. Lies that don’t hurt, but rather inspire. This whole concept is something that I’ve found inspiring in my own life. I draw all the time and am constantly looking for new artistic ways to express myself. When I think about it though, is what I’m doing just a form of deception? A lie that I’m telling everyone who views it? Even if this is true, and I’m lying to people with my false reality, I think that’s okay. Just as Marco says, the emotions are real and I believe that to be the most important thing with art. Even looking beyond traditional handmade art, take music for example. Nearly every song tells some kind of story. And this story might not always be true. Even if it’s based off true events, things may be distorted for entertainment or personal reasons. The same applies with movies. That’s why it’s ‘based’ off a true story, not a true story. As an audience, we’re lied to. But that’s okay because we expect it. We expect to be entertained and we expect a good, amusing lie. This is basically the same for any type of media in our culture. Books, video games, music, movies, even the internet. Let’s take Facebook for example. Nearly everyone uses it to connect to people, post basically anything, and even play games. Yeah, we’re talking to real people, but are our means of doing so real? It’s lacking the face to face means of communication. Does this make it a lie? Possibly.  Certainly aspects of it are, but it’s hard to say if it all is. However I’d say that it is safe to say that humans as a whole crave these kinds of lies. We have for thousands of years, and we’ll continue to and the Media business will only grow and grow (or at least safely stay where it is). I’m studying to be a video game designer for my career. I feel pretty confident about this choice because (not only is 3D modeling something that I absolutely love to do) I know that the market and job department is stable. A lie that people can interact with. And they go nuts over it! Video games have been evolving and evolving rapidly since they were first developed. A revolutionary art form, one that borders on magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment